Statcounter

Monday, November 3, 2008

Childhood memories of France




Well this month the story came again from Cathy. Unfortunately there are no photos but I might find one or two that might give you an idea of the village where this story took place, although probably not the one chuckle. You see I got her email after sending a joke. She came back with this email that she gave me permission to use.


Hi Mike

One of the jokes reminds me an old story, Do you like to listen it? Otherwise delete it



Mike: ( I think Cathy meant did I want to hear it chuckle well of course I did,) only the names have been changed to protect the innocent chuckle!!!!

Claudette, Jean, Phillipe and me were children (between 5and 9 years old)
My mother and I lived in a big old house in France with a large yard and lots of outbuildings. Claudette, Jean and Phillipe used to come to see us in the holidays. We used to play hide and seek in the old school in the small village where my older sister was a teacher. Phillipe was the youngest. It took some time for him to understand the game. Normally he used to shout
"I have found the best spot"
and would show us his best hiding place well before he ran to it to hide! Well after a while and lots of explaining it seemed he understood the game and from then on we had lots fun playing with him.
In those days our Mums did not have the wonderful washing machines that we have today to wash the clothes every time we got grubby. Washing day was a huge task done once a week, usually on Monday. One of the outbuildings was the laundry, inside this there was a huge copper, in here my mother used to store the dirty washing till the next " washing day".
On this particular day we were playing and Phillipe discovered it and took up residence, pleased he had found a great hiding spot!!
Well may be it was the smell of sweat and body odours, but he must have felt as if he had returned to a big womb and after a while he fell asleep!!!
This time he had not showed us his " best spot "!!! The problem was, we didn't find him !!
At first we didn't worry and we went on with our game. It wasn't untill my mother called us for dinner we realised we had forgotten him. Yes we had really forgotten he had been playing with us !! Of course my mother asked us
"Where is Phillipe?"
It followed a long silence and then panic!! We all ran out calling to him!
No answer!!
We ran onto the street and looked for him!
We asked people on the road!
We asked the neighbours ...He had simply vanished!!!!!
My mother sent us home promising us a sound thrashing later, while she herself ran to the butcher to call the police (he was the only one of the village who had a phone!!!!!). Firmly chastised Claudette, Jean and I went back to the kitchen, here we found Phillipe!!!! He was sobbing and crying heartrendingly
"I'm an abandoned child, sob!! I don't want to go to the orphanage!!!!!!"

Thank you Cathy for your lovely snippet of village life in France many moons ago
More story's and yarns wanted for next months page come on get writing amigos

No comments: